Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Library Dialogue

Went to my local library yesterday. I usually make it a point to go once a week; sometimes twice. I've started to become interested in screen plays. Not just reading them but also becoming familiar with their structure and dialogue. I believe it is slightly easier to write a screenplay than a novel. Mostly because a screen play focuses on dialogue and a novel tends to focus on descriptive narrative. I recently read the screen play A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams and found it to be a bit over dramatic but it does contain some great dialogue. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I have been toying with my own screen play idea. So far it is under the working title Because I Said So and it is a simple fish out of water type story. The main character, Van Confucius Schwartz, is an aspiring writer and is tired of his work going unrecognized in the small Texas town he grew up in. He makes plans to attend a writing/journalism school in New York and inevitably has to deal with the varied reactions about his leaving home from his friends, relatives and girlfriend. Oh and I also set it sometime during the early 1990's. I guess it does seem promising so far. I would actually love to see some local theater group act it out once it is complete. I believe people need to see more original plays nowadays. There are too many big budget movies bombarding our senses on a daily basis.

 I will post a preview of my screenplay soon. Maybe in the next week. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment