Friday, July 27, 2012

Appreciative Banana

When I ate a banana it transported me back to another time. I looked around and saw only sadness. A little gladness but mostly sadness. The people they all looked up at me as if I were some kind of messiah. I had to reassure them that I was not but they did not understand. They didn't understand any form of spoken language.

Symbols they knew. I picked up a twig and drew some shapes in the sand. I drew a square; they observed its corners. I drew a triangle; they observed its corners. I drew a circle; they just about lost their minds.

Some of them jumped up and down and cheered ecstatically. I was amused by their sudden collective epiphany. One of them then grabbed a rock and a makeshift chisel. He diligently carved away at it for an hour or so.

I tried to get a closer look at what he was doing but his back was covering his work. The sunlight kept shining off the top of his head, it almost resembled a lighthouse. Finally, he stopped carving and turned to face me. He held up his creation and the others gathered around it with awe.

He slowly walked up to me with a big grin on his face. He then handed me his creation and hopped away with the others. I watched them all trot out of sight then looked down at the carved rock I held. It was in the shape of a.... banana.

As I examined it and felt its coarse texture it quickly transported me back to the present. The sweet, sweet present. I now have a deeper appreciation for bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment