Thursday, November 22, 2012

My Thanksgiving Speech

What is Thanksgiving? The ancient Egyptians had no such holiday. Nor did the Babylonians. Neither did the Chinese. I suppose they had no use for one. Or maybe they were just too caught up in the emotional outpour of their individual eras to even bother to consider giving thanks and/or receiving it. But then again the only working knowledge I have is of the society in which I was born.

Today's generations have no concept of what it must have been like for the pilgrims to make their long, arduous journey aboard the Mayflower. I suppose it could be comparable to waiting in line for the latest technological gadget or fighting off the crowds at a Black Friday sale. Yet even that would be a stretch.

The world has changed immensely since then. People have changed as well. Human emotion seems to be the one constant throughout history. This includes giving thanks and receiving it.

And with that... I am quite thankful. I am thankful for the moon, the sun, the stars, the sky, Mother Earth and this magnanimous Universe we're all a part of! But most of all I am thankful for the people that surround me. My friends. My family.

I give thanks to you. Mom, Dad, Sister, Niece, Nephew, Nephew. I give thanks to All of you. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment