Saturday, December 22, 2012

Cell Phones & Diet Coke

Cell phones and diet coke cans sprawled out before our sentience. I make myself a grilled quesadilla with sour cream and plenty of salsa on the side. My life makes some sense. Even if you cannot see it.

I read Tolstoy with vigor and Maugham with opulence. I try not to peruse the information highway too often but it is always at my finger tips. Yesterday I thought to myself 'I'd like to be an entertainer of sorts'. But no it is not within me to pander to a crowd of doubters. I'd sooner jump into a vat of boiling hot oil.

The leather band I wear on my right wrist smells of sweet hide. I wonder what animal it came from. I wonder about slaughterhouses sometimes whenever I eat a cheeseburger. I don't eat cheeseburgers everyday; no. I do have sympathy for all creatures big and small but I don't always have the resources to purchase or grow vegetarian alternatives.

The closest I ever came to being a vegetarian was one summer when I ate nothing but granola and cereal. I swear for nearly three months that was all I ate! It made me feel quite famished and light headed. I eventually gave it up, only because I could no longer tolerate being hungry.

Some people are carnivores and some are vegetarians. Most tend to be omnivores. That's just the way things are. It's not the way things have to be but it's just the way they are. All sustenance is composed of the same molecules anyhow. The same applies to us homosapiens.

I'd eat mud if mud tasted exactly like a pepperoni and sausage pizza with extra cheese. But, sadly, it doesn't so therefore I do not eat mud. I suppose I could think of myself as a cheese-tarian but only part time.

I often wonder how people will describe us one hundred or so years from now. They might just think of us as the civilization that had cell phones and drank diet coke. Oh and everything else that happened in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment